Diabetes

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in May 1998 meaning I was just about to turn 2! This means that I don't know what it is like to live without it. I control my diabetes with an insulin pump which infuses a constant stream of background insulin into my system through a canula that sits just below my skin. I also have to calculate the additional insulin I need for the food I eat. The new science behind diabetes equipment has made a lot of lives so much better as it means it is easier to eat the foods that before would cause major blood sugar issues. 
Before I left for camp I had to make sure I had enough insulin to last me 3 months which was a struggle (thank you NHS) and to make sure I had enough equipment for my pump as some of the parts need replacing ever 3 days. My advice for anyone considering camp with diabetes is to be over prepared! I've got extra equipment and extra insurance to cover anything that could go horribly wrong. Fingers crossed it wont!
 I came to camp with the impression that, as I was going to be a lot more active, I would need less insulin.I even got my diabetes nurse to put another proifile on my pump to give me less background insulin throughout the day to reduce the risk of having a hypo in front of the kids. But oh how I was wrong! Yes, I am a lot more active and constantly moving, however I am also eating more carbs than I usually would to replace the energy I need to run around after 20 kids all week. This means that I'm needing more insulin and am having more blood sugar highs than I would like. Also I have to get used to American food being more carb heavy than the UK and factoring in the amount of fat I'm eating too! It confuses me so I'm not going to try and explain it. There are so many factors that cause blood sugar to rise that isn't just due to food and I've got to figure out whether it's the food, the heat, being so active or the stress of looking after children. I've spoken to my nurse back home who advised me to try a temporary increased rate of background insulin but I'm scared that it'll go in the other direction. 
The camp have been very accommodating, I can have access to the health centre fridge at anytime to have access to my insulin and even the chef at camp saw me testing my blood sugar during pre camp one day and was really kind and offered to change the menu for me if I needed. 
So it's been a learning curve and I'm still getting used to the adjustment of insulin so fingers crossed I can get myself sorted pretty soon.
xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Packing....

Welcome!!

I've arrived at Camp!!